Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Week 4, Gotta Hand it to Him

What a week, what a wonder, what a world!

The weeks are starting to FLYYYYYYY by ✈️
(Somebody please remind me to use that joke again when I leave the MTC
for Japan. Please)

Speaking of jokes, I'm really funny.
Instead of studying, I wrote some Japanese-themed jokes. Kind of like
studying Japanese, right...?

Here they are:

So you're talking to your friend:
Your friend: "Meet you in Japan in one week!"
You: "See you YEN!"

What's a martial artist's favorite kind of tea?
Kara-TEA.

I should get paid for this.

So I didn't take many pictures of little ole me this week (too busy taking candid shots of all of the cute girls in my district. Too photogenic to be real, I swear) but I did find this cool glitched
satellite image of Sapporo from google maps! I call it "Sapporo Summer, Sapporo Winter"
I WANT TO PLAY IN ALL THAT SNOW!!!


I had my first dream in Japanese!  

But it doesn't really count. My whole dream wasn't Japanese, I was just teaching a lesson. You know you're a real missionary when you're doing missionary work in your dreams.

Okay so fact time! This week was the New Mission President's Seminar. What does that mean? All of the new mission presidents come for 3 days to be trained. 

What does that really mean?

THE ENTIRE QUORUM OF THE 12, AND the Presidency AND THE PROPHET were on campus!!!

Not that it's a big deal or anything  Just kidding-- it was so cool!!

Guess what. I saw the back of Elder Oak's head one day.

And then guess what again. THE NEXT DAY I SHOOK HIS HAND.

THESE HANDS TOUCHED HIS HAND IN AN AMICABLE SHAKING!



Here's the story, as I wrote it, 20 minutes after it happened (when we all calmed down enough to type.)

"DALLIN H OAKS JUST SHOOK MY HAND
SAW HIM CLOSE THE DOOR OF OUR SENPAI'S CLASS
NO ONE BELIEVED ME
OUT WALKS THE MAN HIMSELF
ALMOST DIDN'T TURN AROUND
BUT THEN HE ZIPS BACK
ELDER OAKS
HE WAS IN THEIR CLASS
AND HE SHOOK MY HAND"

But yeah, Elder Oak's just walked into the class of the district that has been here longer than us while they were doing teaching practice. And he just listened in, and bore his testimony!! That must have been stressful, I'm glad I just got to shake his hand! It was really so cool.

And then the next day we "met" Elder Stevenson!
We were walking across the crosswalk, and we were stopped short to let a normal-looking white car pass by. It slows down in front of my companion and I and this guy says "Hello, Sisters! Where are you guys going?"
"Uhhh.... Japan?"
"That's great! See you on Tuesday!" And then he drove off.
THEN this old couple behind us told us that it was Elder Stevenson in that car and we freaked out.
But we never saw him on Tuesday!

Afterwards, my companion and I said "Two down, ten to go."
We're cool cats.

Also! During Mission President's Conference, we had a mission president and his wife teach us a lesson. His wife, who was a fabulous dresser, by the way, did the interior designs for the Gilbert Temple! It was cool to be able to compliment her on her work.

New Japan facts I've Learned from my Teachers while Distracting them from Teaching Us:

- Apparently, the corn dogs in Japan's 7/11s are to die for.

- During winter in Sapporo, you have to put your liquid products (i.e. Toothpaste, Shampoo, etc.) I'm the fridge so they don't freeze. 
Maybe I should just put myself in the fridge too. I think I'm at least a little more important than toothpaste....

Dumb things I've Done this Week:

- My roommates and I were getting really into singing Sound of Music songs. Harmonizing and everything. During our rendition of the Do Re Mi song, we were full-fledged galloping across the room. It was the performance of a lifetime. And then someone shut our door really loud.  Oops!

Teacher Talk:

- MARRIAGE!!!! Our teacher got married yesterday! The one who was our investigator and then became our teacher and is now our teacher/investigator aka TeachVestigator. We, being the cutest district ever, bought him a card, signed it, and took a Polaroid of ourselves for him to cherish forever (or, more realistically, throw away a month after we leave.) Our other teacher delivered it to him at his reception. She's also going to film us singing Love at Home and send it to him, because apparently, we have singing skills.




(Sensible Elder on the right looks so happy in this picture!! And I'm just in the back like a creep.)

- Haha, remember how Babysitter Sensei always wears the same tie? It's because he cleans his dorm room by shoving everything in the closet, and never opening it again. Of course. Classic Babysitter Sensei. So, being the adorable and fun district that we are, we all put in some cash and bought him a new tie from the MTC store. It matches his leather jacket.  I'm so excited for him to wear it, haha  And the best part is, we aren't even technically his district.

- ALSO, we asked one of our teachers what the teachers say about us behind our backs, and we are OFFICIALLY "The Fun District." Basically, everyone fights over who gets to teach us, no big deal. I'm tellin' ya, we're cool cats.

The Crazy Elder (who I should rename the genius elder. He worked for Microsoft before he came here, got accepted to Stanford, and got a 35 on his ACT) gets sick a lot and stays at the nurse, so Sensible Elder came to class with a new companion one day. We call him Denwa Chōrō (Elder Phone) He is very polite.



And that was this week!

As for today, I'm pretty sick. I've been trying to ignore it for a few days, but it's official, I'm sick. Blarg. 

Also, don't tell anyone, but I accidentally got left alone in the dorms today, without a companion. That's highly illegal! Shhhhhhhhh! Our secret.

JA MATA WANI
🐊🐊
("See you later, alligator" in Japanese. We made it up to bug our teachers. Hence, The Fun District TM)

















No comments:

Post a Comment